Advocacy takes many forms, and actions may vary with the political, economic and social environment within which they are conducted. There are, however, a number of common actions around bringing about change to society, and in the context of this Guide, positive change for women’s lives nationally, regionally and globally. These are:
- questioning and analysis of the way women’s policy is administered,
- participating in the agenda setting to raise significant issues,
- targeting political systems and working on strengthening structures, mechanisms and representation for gender equality,
- inclusiveness and engagement (with a broad range of stakeholders),
- proposing policy solutions, and
- opening up space for public discussion and debate.
Different methods may be used by the same groups, across differing contexts.